UK - Applying for a Visa

For updated information, please refer to the Official United Kingdom Visas website. The site shows whether you need a visa for the UK and how to apply for one if you do.

Do I need a visa to learn English in the UK?

You need a visa if you are not a European Economic Area (EEA) national.

Less than 6 months: Student Visitor Visa

6-11 months: Extended Student Visitor Visa

Refusal of visas

If the visa is not granted, you should send proof of refusal at least 1 week prior to arrival. Castle School will then refund the total cost of the course and accommodation. Castle School does not refund the Administration Fee of £120.

Extended Student Visitor Visa (ESVV)

New ESVV makes life easier for international students

The ESVV will only be available to students who want to study an English language course for between six and eleven months. The visa will be valid for 11 months. Students enrolling on other courses or English Plus courses will not qualify for the ESVV. Students will need to show that their course is longer than 6 months.

The new rules do not affect EU and EEA students.

For more detailed information, please visit

What should you do?

In order to qualify for a visa, you should enrol on a full-time course of a minimum of 15 hours tuition per week.

You will need to take the relevant documents together with passport photographs, application fees and your passport to your local embassy in order to apply for a visa to the UK.

Students should check with the Embassy or British Council in their own country as requirements vary considerably from country to country.

Ask a question